Rosa Joy


Rosa is a lovely 18 year old girl that live in rural Norfolk. Her love for photography came on so fast that she thinks she's still catching up with it. She creates with a Nikon D40 and her photos are the most amazing you guys could ever imagine.Here is an interview that I recently made with her.

Rosa é uma adorável garota de 18 anos que vive na Norfolk (Inglaterra) rural. Seu amor pela fotografia veio tão rápido que ela acha que ainda está se atualizando. Usa uma Nikon D40 e suas fotos são as mais maravilhosas que vocês podem imaginar. Aqui segue uma entrevista que eu recentemente fiz com ela.




How was the moment that you discovered your passion for photography?

In all honesty, I can’t chose an exact “moment” in which I discovered photography. I have always been interested in art and images, and I have always carried a camera with me, but I didn’t take photography “seriously” until I got my dSLR at Christmas in 2009. The most exciting thing about it was realising that I could turn the pictures in my head, the images I had imagined, into real-life photographs. I suppose that realisation was the moment I fell in love with photography.

What inspires you?

I believe that everything inspires artists, from the places they see, the books they read, the music they listen to and the people they meet. To be at your creative best, you need to have experienced as much as possible. For me, the changes in the natural world, the music I listen to before I go out to take a photograph, and the things which have been taking up space in my head that day are the biggest influences on the photographs I take.

Tell me about the "Rosa Joy's One Hundred Days of Summer". Where the idea came from?

My One Hundred Days of Summer project idea grew from all the photographers on Flickr who take part in Project 365. The format is similar, because as with Project 365 I aim to take a photograph every day. However, rather than running the project over an entire year I wanted specifically to photograph this summer. I know that this summer will be important to me, because I have just finished school and I am about to start the next stage of my life. It’s also the first time I’ve had a proper holiday, without worrying about exams, for four years! I wanted to document the things I’ll do and the experiences I’ll have, and make it into a daily diary to look back on in years to come.

What do you prefer: to model or to photograph?
To photograph, definitely. I started photography because I didn’t like being in front of the camera. Becoming a self-portraitist through the 52 Week Project forced me to think about the way both the camera sees me and the way I see myself, and helped me to feel in control and comfortable in front of the lens. If I have the choice, though, I much prefer to use my friends in concept shots.
Also, taking portrait shots which clients are pleased with makes me happy. “Arty” photography is fun, but I find the real joy is in giving somebody a photograph of themselves which restores their self-confidence and makes them realise how beautiful they are.

Do you have a favourite photograph among the ones you've taken?

This is such a difficult question because my favourite photograph seems to change every day, depending on what I’m thinking about and who I’m talking to and what the weather is like. At the moment, though, my favourite photograph is either  this on this one or this one, for very different reasons.

How do you choose the locations?

It took me a long time to realise how lucky I was to live in such a beautiful place. In the beginning of my 52 Week Project I would mostly wander until I found somewhere which looked pretty, but now I know each place better, the kind of photograph it will produce and the mood which fits it best.
Even now, though, I am still finding new locations every time I step out of the front door. Picking up a camera connected me to the environment I live in, and I am continually amazed at the way the earth changes with weeks and months. Locations I used in the dead of winter are completely different places in the middle of July. Finding new locations is one of the most exciting parts about photography, for me.

Do you do other things besides photographing?

My first loves have always been music, dance and literature. I sing and play the piano, and take tap and modern dance classes each week. I’m hoping to read English Literature at university, and I also enjoy writing.
I’ve unexpectedly found a strong link between dance and photography. Moves and dances we learn in class often influence the poses in my photographs, such as  here, and I often try to include movement in my work.

Where do you find the lovely clothes that we see in your pictures?

I’ve never been a fashion-conscious girl, and fashion photography has never appealed to me as much as other kinds of photography. I try and use outfits in my photographs to compliment the mood of the picture, rather than putting the clothes in main focus. I recycle a lot of my clothes in my photographs, but change the outfit by adding a different cardigan or pair of leggings. I shop at high street stores like New Look and Topshop, but equally a lot of my outfits come together from things I’ve found in charity shops and vintage stores.

Tell me: a piece of music, a book, a movie, a quotation.

‘Where’ere you walk’, an aria by Handel. It winds its way into a lot of my photographs.

‘This is All’, by Aidan Chambers. It’s my favourite book, although I’ve never finished it.

‘Slumdog Millionaire’. It has some of the most extraordinary cinematography I’ve seen.

Muriel Rukeyser, an American poet and political activist, once said, “The universe is made up of stories, not of atoms.” I think there is an awful lot of truth in that, and that it sums up my photography completely.

________

Como foi o momento em que você descobriu sua paixão pela fotografia?
Honestamente, eu não consigo achar o “momento exato” em que eu descobri a fotografia. Eu sempre me interessei por artes e imagens, e sempre carreguei uma câmera comigo, mas eu nunca levei fotografia a sério até conseguir minha dSLR no natal de 2009. O mais empolgante de tudo isso era perceber que eu podia transformar a minha imaginação em fotografias da vida real. Eu suponho que “realização” foi o momento em que eu me apaixonei pela fotografia.

O que te inspira?

 
Eu acredito que tudo inspira os artistas, desde os lugares, os livros, a música até as pessoas que eles conhecem. Para estar no auge da sua criatividade, você precisa ter tido o máximo de experiências possíveis. Para mim, as mudanças no mundo natural, a música que eu ouço antes de ir tirar fotos, e as coisas que têm subido na minha cabeça naquele dia são as maiores influências nas fotografias que  tiro.

Conte-me sobre o “Rosa Joy’s One Hundred Days of Summer” (100 dias de verão da Rosa Joy). De onde veio a ideia?

A ideia do meu projeto de 100 dias de verão veio de todos os fotógrafos do Flickr que têm parte no Projeto 365. O formato é similar, porque como no Projeto 365 eu pretendo tirar uma fotografia a cada dia. Porém, ao invés de executar o projeto durante um ano inteiro, eu quis especificadamente fotografar nesse verão. Eu sei que esse verão será importante para mim, porque eu acabei de terminar a escola e eu estou para começar a próxima etapa da minha vida. É também a primeira vez que eu tive um bom feriado, sem me preocupar com exames, por quatro anos! Eu quis documentar as coisas que farei e as experiências que terei, e transformar em um diário em que eu possa olhar para trás nos próximos anos.

O que você prefere: posar ou fotografar?

Fotografar, definitivamente. Eu comecei com a fotografia porque eu não gostava de estar na frente da câmera. Tornar-me a fotógrafa dos meus próprios retratos no “52 Week Project” me forçou a pensar sobre o modo com que a câmera me vê e o modo como eu me vejo, e me ajudou a sentir controle e conforto na frente das lentes. Se eu tivesse escolha, eu usaria meus amigos nas fotos conceituais. E também, tirar retratos em que os clientes fiquem satisfeitos, me faz feliz. A fotografia “Arty” é divertida, mas eu encontro a verdadeira alegria em dar uma fotografia a alguém deles mesmos que restaure sua autoconfiança e os façam perceber quão lindos eles são.

Você tem alguma fotografia favorita dentre as quais você já tirou?

Essa é uma pergunta muito difícil porque minha foto favorita parece mudar todo o dia, dependendo no que eu estou pensando, com quem estou falando e como está o tempo. No momento as minhas favoritas são: essa e essa, por questões muito diferentes.

Como você escolhe os lugares?

Levei um bom tempo para perceber quão sortuda eu era de viver em um lugar tão bonito. No começo do meu “52 Week Project” eu vaguearia por ai até achar algum lugar que parecesse bonito, mas agora eu conheço cada lugar melhor, o tipo de fotografia que produzirá e o humor que se encaixa melhor.

Mesmo agora, eu ainda procuro por novas locações toda hora que eu saio de casa. Pegar a câmera conectou-me ao ambiente em que vivo, e eu estou continuadamente maravilhada com o modo que a terra muda em semanas e meses. Locações que eu usei no final do inverno são completamente diferentes no meio de julho. Para mim, encontrar novos lugares é a parte mais empolgante na fotografia.

Você faz outras coisas além de fotografar?

Meus primeiros amores sempre foram música, dança e literatura. Eu canto, toco piano e faço aulas de sapateado e danças modernas toda semana. Eu espero ler literatura inglesa na universidade, também gosto de escrever.

Inesperadamente, eu encontrei uma ligação entre dança e fotografia. Movimentos e danças que nós aprendemos na aula sempre influenciam nas poses das minhas fotos como aqui , e eu sempre tento incluir movimento no meu trabalho.
 
Onde você encontra aquelas roupas adoráveis que vemos em suas fotografias?

Eu nunca fui uma garota que ligasse para moda, e a fotografia fashion nunca me encantou como outros tipos de fotografia. Eu tento e uso roupas para entrar em harmonia com a atmosfera da foto, ao invés de colocá-las em foco. Eu reciclo muito minhas roupas nas fotografias, só mudo a roupas apenas colocando um cardigan diferente ou um par de meias. Eu compro em altas lojas de rua como New Look e Topshop, mas igualmente muitas delas vêm de coisas que eu achei em lojas de caridade e brechós.

Diga-me: um pedaço de uma música, um livro, um filme e uma citação

“Where’ere you walk”, uma melodia de Handel. Segue seu caminho em muitas das minhas fotografias.

“ This is All”, do Aidan Chambers. É o meu livro favorito, embora eu nunca o acabei.

“ Quem quer ser um milionário?”. Tem umas das maiores cinematografias que eu já vi.

Muriel Rukeyser, uma poetisa americana e ativista política, uma vez disse: “ O universo é feito de histórias, não átomos” Eu acho que tem uma verdade horrível, e isso resume minha fotografia.









Rosa's Links

Flickr
Blog
Portfolio
Rosa Joy's One Hundred Days of Summer

10 comentários:

  1. I loved the interview!
    Love your blog!

    Kisssss

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are such beautiful photographs!

    http://flowergirlfashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so so beautiful. very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the interview! And every single photograph is incredible.
    Your header is AMAZING, by the way!
    XOX.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow!she's gorgeous and very inspiring. :]

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the sweet comments guys <33

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks from me too!
    And thank you especially to Bruna for inviting me onto your beautiful blog :)

    ReplyDelete

 

Blogroll

About